Step inside this faithful recreation of William Shakespeare’s iconic Globe theatre. Imagine it as it would have been at the centre of London’s notorious Bankside entertainment district.
Throughout the year, our expert guides bring this extraordinary open-air theatre to life in a 40 minute guided tour, with colourful stories of the 1599 Globe, the reconstruction process in the 1990s and how the building works today as an imaginative and experimental theatre space. Take a seat ‘within this wooden O’ – listen, absorb and ask questions as the secrets of the Globe unfold.
Enjoy exciting live demonstrations in The Guided Tour Welcome and Demonstration Space at various times throughout the day, which include Elizabethan clothing dressings, stage fighting and printing the plays using a replica 17th century printing press.
Following your Globe Theatre Guided Tour, eat your way through the twists and turns of Shakespeare's ethereal romantic comedy. Swan’s A Midsummer Night’s Dream Afternoon Tea is inspired by the journeys of the play’s characters: from the pea flower of Oberon’s love potion, the apricots Titania feeds to Bottom and, of course, mulberries from the lovers’ tree.
Presented on our bespoke crockery in our stunning Swan at Shakespeare’s Globe restaurant enjoy a glass of English Hush Heath Sparkling whilst taking in London’s iconic skyline and the River Thames.
• Fascinating introduction to the world-famous Globe Theatre and life in Shakespeare's London.
• Discover how shows were produced in Shakespeare's time to how the space is used today.
• The Globe is the first major building erected in central London, since the Great Fire of 1666, to have a thatched roof.
• Open-air theatre with a framework constructed using traditional techniques and held together using 9,500 wooden pegs.
• Enjoy live demonstrations throughout the day in our interpretation and demonstration space.
• Themed afternoon tea served in the Swan Restaurant with specular views of the River Thames and St Paul’s.
• 40 minute guided tour – visit length including afternoon tea 2 hours.
• Guided Tour language sheets available in French, German, Spanish, Italian, Russian, Japanese and Simplified Chinese.
• Live demonstrations throughout the day in our interpretation and demonstration space.
• Themed A Midsummer Night’s Dream Afternoon Tea served at Swan, Shakespeare’s Globe, which includes a glass of English Hush Heath Sparkling.
Please exchange your voucher at the Tour Entrance at least 15 minutes in advance of your tour.
What you need to know:
• As we are a working theatre, tour times vary due to performance schedules or sometimes
take place during rehearsals (giving you an exclusive look at the rehearsal process!).
• Guided Tours take place in all weathers.
• There is no dress code, but we recommend visitors wear appropriate clothing and footwear as our tours take place outdoors. There is also no dress code for the afternoon tea.
• Swan Bar & Restaurant and Cafe is located at the Globe site.
• Gift Shop can be accessed via the main entrance and is open to the public all day (no ticket required).
• Please notify us of any dietary requirements at the time of booking as we are unlikely to be able to accommodate requests on the day. With advanced warning, we can accommodate pescatarian, vegetarian, vegan, gluten-free and yeast free diets. Whilst we will do our best to accommodate other special diets, unfortunately we cannot guarantee to do so.
Guide Tour & Afternoon Tea timings:
Globe Theatre Guided Tour – Monday to Saturday 12pm & Sunday 11am
A Midsummer Night’s Dream Afternoon Tea – Monday to Saturday 1pm & Sunday 12pm
Find out more about the venue's location and how to get there.
Exit the station, following signs for the River Thames/South Bank. As you reach the river, head west and the Globe is by the Tate Modern on the south side of the river.