The Electric Ballroom has come to epitomise Camden Town since 1938.
In the early 1970s some of the big names in rock, including Paul McCartney’s Wings and Led Zeppelin, plus a few of the new punk bands who were connected to the neighbouring Chiswick Records, used the ballroom as a rehearsal room.
In 1978, with the help of Frank Murray, Thin Lizzy’s former tour manager, the venue was re-launched as a rock venue and the name was changed from The Carousel to Electric Ballroom. Electric Ballroom opened on July 28 1978 with The Greedies. The Electric Ballroom was forced to close down after about 9 months due to noise complaints. After new soundproofing it re-opened in 1979.