Originally opened in 1910, the Wimbledon Theatre was a prime location for musical theatre south of the river in London and – at 1,500 seats – outnumbered many West End theatres in capacity. It was a versatile venue that attracted everything from opera and ballet to panto and musicals.
It was refurbished twice in the 1990s, but nevertheless almost faced closure as recently as 2003. It was bought up by the Ambassador Theatre Group, which owns a number of venues in the West End and across the country. They renamed the theatre to ‘New Wimbledon Theatre’ and have since hosted countless popular touring musicals.